You cannot have sushi without sushi rice… otherwise, it would just be raw fish, aka. sashimi. Which is good, don’t get me wrong – it’s just that it wouldn’t be sushi! This recipe here is guaranteed to give you delicious sushi rice that is the perfect balance of sweet and sour, with a pinch of saltiness to it every time (unless you really go off the recipe XD).
Ingredients: (Yields 4 servings)
- 2 cups short grain/sushi rice
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
1) Scoop the rice into a bowl and rinse out in the sink several time until the water runs clear.
2) Drain the cleaned rice and add 2 cups of cool water.
3) Transfer into a rice cooker and cook. Or if you are cooking the rice on a stove, transfer the rice with 2 cups of water into a pot. Turn the stove on to high heat with the pot uncovered, and when the water starts to boil, cover the pot and turn the heat to low. Let the rice cook for 15 minutes and when the timer is up, turn off the heat and let the rice sit to steam for an additional 10 minutes.
4) Meanwhile, mix the sugar, salt, and rice vinegar together in a bowl. Feel free to pop the mixture into the microwave for 30 seconds to help the salt and sugar dissolve.
5) When the rice is finished steaming, transfer it into a large bowl.
6) Pour the vinegar mixture over the rice and with a wooden spoon, gently mix the rice in a folding motion to coat each grain with the vinegar mixture to transform your rice into sushi rice!