For me, Chicken Parmesan reads filling and comforting, especially when topped off with a good dose of melted mozzarella and parmesan cheese! I use store-bought tomato marinara basil sauce from Trader Joe’s and make it chunkier by adding in diced onions and tomatoes.
Ingredients: (Yields 2 servings)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup of grape tomatoes, quartered
- tomato marinara basil sauce
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 egg
- all-purpose flour
- bread crumb
- olive oil
- grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a saucepan, add in about 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Heat and toss in the diced yellow onions. After sweating the onions in the saucepan for about 5 minutes, add in the quartered tomatoes and the tomato marinara basil sauce. Bring down to a simmer.
- Place the chicken breasts in a clear zip lock bag and pound them until they are flatter. Season the breasts on both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, add in just enough all-purpose flour for you to dredge each breast with a thin coating of flour.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg and dip the chicken breasts on both sides with the egg mixture.
- In the third bowl, add in enough bread crumbs to cover both sides of the chicken. Dredge the chicken breasts in the bread crumbs until completely covered and tap off the excess.
- Heat a large skillet on high heat with olive oil. Just before the olive oil begins smoking, add in the 2 chicken breasts and let them sear on both sides for about 2 minutes, or until the bread crumbs form a nice golden brown crust.
- Transfer the chicken breasts to a baking sheet and top both with a large spoonful of tomato sauce, some mozzarella cheese, and big sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- Bake the chicken in the preheated oven for about 7 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese on top melted.
- Remove from the oven and plate on top of a large scoop of the tomato sauce and enjoy!